Saturday, April 4, 2009

Unexpected Arrival




Well, it's 5:21 AM and I've been up with Ansley since 4:00. I decided that now was the perfect time to add to the blog and let everyone know about all of our excitement over the past few days. Monday was the doctor's appointment and at that point I was 80% effaced and 3 cm dilated. The doctor went ahead and scheduled an induction for Wednesday, April 1. Being the planner that I am, I was thrilled with knowing exactly when she would come so I would be completely prepared. However, Ansley Grace had other plans.

Jeff had to work on Tuesday and I was left home alone all day. My mom was to come stay with me that night so she could go with us to the hospital the next morning. I had a great day and got a lot done...cleaned the house from top to bottom, had lunch with Katie, and dinner with my mom. No contractions, no pain. Nothing. I decided to take my shower that night instead of Wednesday morning so that I could sleep late, then Mom and I watched a movie and I snacked on Red Hots and Tums. As I was sitting in the recliner considering going to bed at 11:30 that night, my water broke. Talk about a strange sensation. My common sense and endless preparation vanished at that moment and I had no clue what to do. Mom called Jeff once. No answer. Apparently he thought that we were just up late and had something we wanted to tell him...a funny story or something like that. So he decided that if it were really important we would call him back and that we did. Mom told him that he better head this way quick.

In the meantime, I was trying to decide how to conceal the fact that my water had broken to avoid embarrassment at the hospital. Then I thought I should put on makeup and when Jeff called back and found out that's what I was doing, he thought I lost my mind and told me to get straight to the hospital. We loaded up and headed that way. I was quickly checked in and my contractions had begun by that time. All of a sudden they hit me hard and I begged for the epidural. The pain was so intense that I couldn't speak to answer the questions the nurse was asking me. Thank goodness my mom was there. Jeff finally arrived and was such an incredible help to me, holding my hand and reassuring me that I was doing a great job. I got the epidural...that was the best thing I've ever had! I could no longer feel the contractions and just a few hours later it was time to push. Ansley Grace was born at 6:13 that morning. She weighed 8 1/2 pounds and was 21 inches long. She is without a doubt the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

In all of my planning, I never could have imagined that my labor and delivery would be so perfect. It was the sweetest moment of my life and I'm so thankful to have shared it with my amazing husband and mom. Just thinking about it makes me tear up and smile to myself. We're all home now and things are going really well. She's such a good baby and is very laid back like her daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment