Monday, August 1, 2011

Potty Time, Day 1



Today we started potty training Ansley. Thank goodness my sister was here with me to help with Heidi since Ansley got every little bit of attention and energy I had. I have laughed harder at her today than ever and she has almost brought me to tears, too.

This morning I woke Ansley and brought her to the living room with her potty, sat her down in front of the cartoons with a cup of milk, and told her to stay there until she went. It only took a few minutes and then Mandy and I practically jumped up and down and praised her to the extreme. We emptied her potty into the big one, let her flush it, and she picked out a prize. I started with setting the timer for every 30 minutes for her to sit on the potty, but we pumped her so full of juice that she had a couple of accidents and I decided to do it every 15 minutes. A couple more accidents later I decided to go with 10 minutes and then got really discouraged. I did the math and realized that if she kept that up, we would sit on the potty 72 times a day. So, we slowed way down on the juice. For her nap, I put these plastic panty type things over her panties thinking those would keep her bed dry, but they didn't work. I woke her and she was soaking wet, so we're going with pull-ups during naps and diapers at night I think. We'll work on the naps and night time when she gets the day time training down. She did not have any accidents after her nap and was happy to sit on her potty as long as she got candy as a reward. I had Jeff stop and get Skittles on his way home so I could give her one little piece each time.

Like I said above, we have laughed so hard at her today. Here are some of the funny things she's said:
-"Here it comes!"
-"No! Don't say that!" - to Mandy when she asked if Ansley wanted to sit on her potty
-"No, I just want to hang out." - to me when I asked if she wanted to sit on her potty

I'm sure there will be many more funny phrases to come.

So, for day one, she went about 15 times on the potty and only had 5 accidents. I'm pretty proud of her!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Ansley! (And Mama!!) Because let me tell you, potty training is hard work for ALL involved. :)

    ReplyDelete